New Jersey Hit and Run Accident Lawyers
The aftermath of a hit and run accident in New Jersey can be confusing and upsetting at best – and life-threatening at worst. Any car accident comes with stress, but when you add in the element of the responsible party leaving the scene, the distress can multiply.
If you or someone you love has been affected by a hit-and-run accident, you deserve compensation for your emotional, physical, and financial strife. Don’t settle for less. Working with a New Jersey car accident attorney is essential.
Why Do Drivers Leave the Scene of the Accident?
Hit-and-run accidents occur with alarming frequency in the United States – every 43 seconds to be exact, according to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. Most of us know someone who has been on the innocent end of a hit and run. The alarming rate at which these accidents occur can be confusing for the majority. Most people could never imagine striking another vehicle or person and fleeing the scene. However, there are many reasons why people could be compelled to leave after an accident. More than likely – but not always – a driver is attempting to avoid criminal liability.
Some reasons a person may hit and run include:
- They are driving under the influence: When someone knows that they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, they may flee the scene in an effort to avoid charges.
- They have an outstanding warrant/stolen vehicle: Sometimes, a driver may have an outstanding arrest warrant or be operating a stolen vehicle. In this instance, the responsible party is leaving to avoid apprehension or jail.
- They are driving without a license: Some drivers have revoked licenses and know they legally cannot be on the road. These drivers also drive off in fear of arrest and jail.
- They are driving without insurance: While the hypothetical people mentioned above may fear criminal responsibility, a person without insurance fears civil liability and being held responsible for the money damages of the accident with no insurance company as a safety net.
- They’re in fight or flight mode: According to a Washington Post interview with a psychologist, some people experience emotional responses after an accident that influence them to flee. They must make a snap decision and can go into flight mode. She notes that in some circumstances people will wrongly rationalize the accident as being not a big deal and decide their presence at the scene is unimportant.
There is never an excuse for committing a hit and run. If you have been struck by a driver who has fled the scene, you need legal representation to protect your best interests. At Harrell Injury Law, our New Jersey hit-and-run lawyers have the experience and know-how to help you receive compensation.
What Should I Do After a Hit and Run Accident?
After a hit and run, stress and other emotions can make decision-making difficult. Victims may have thoughts racing through their minds. How badly am I injured? How could someone do this? What should I do now? Do I need a doctor? Do I need legal help?
As much as a victim might not want to deal with the aftermath, it is important to capture certain information following any car accident, especially a hit-and-run:
- Call 911
- Seek medical care
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene
- Take photos of your injuries
- Write down everything you remember about the accident
- Do not accept the insurance company’s offer without a personal injury attorney’s advice
Our skillful New Jersey hit and run accident attorneys can help you pull all the pieces together and receive the best settlement possible after the accident. Call us today for a free consultation!
Hit and Run Accident: Don’t Navigate Alone
Whether you were a driver, a pedestrian, a passenger in a car, or out for a bike ride during your hit-and-run crash, you have a right to demand compensation. However, with the at-fault party a mystery, it can be complicated to know how to go about seeking justice. An attorney can help.
Insurance companies are never eager to pay money to accident victims. However, they pay special attention to clients who have lawyers because they know that a lawyer will not hesitate to file a lawsuit if the client does not receive fair compensation.
Increase your odds of getting the justice you deserve. Call us today for a free case evaluation!
Contact Harrell Injury Law for a Free Consultation
If you were hurt in a car accident and need a trusted advocate by your side, contact Harrell Injury Law for a free case evaluation. Our New Jersey car accident lawyers are dedicated to helping injured clients pursue justice and move forward with their best life. Call today to arrange a private, no-obligation consultation.